America is obsessed with sex. But at the same time that sex is used to sell everything from hamburgers to cars, our Puritanical roots create dizzying dichotomies: abstinence campaigns and virginity balls crop up while teens have anal sex to preserve their “purity;” conservatives call for more restrictions on abortion yet don’t want the sex education taught that might prevent some pregnancies; some states approve gay marriage and the Million Moms calls for the Archie comic book featuring a gay wedding to be banned from Toys R Us; Slutwalks spring up in opposition to the prevalent rape culture after a policeman blames a woman’s rape on what she was wearing; and the list goes on and on.
MOMENTUM arose out of our national obsession with sexuality but as a counterpoint to the tired rhetoric we’re used to hearing. This cutting-edge anthology, with a foreword by former U.S. Surgeon General, Dr. Joycelyn Elders, features selected essays by our 2012 presenters and, like the conference itself, covers a wide range of sexuality. MOMENTUM: Making Waves in Sexuality, Feminism and Relationships aims to share new and fresh perspectives in sexuality by offering essays such as Culture Warriors vs.Sex for Pleasure: Changing the Sexual Narrative by Lara Riscol, Sex in America by Esther Perel, Talking Out Loud About Senior Sex by Joan Price, Feminist Porn as Cultural Critique (And Why It’s Necessary to Critique the Culture’s Critique of Porn) by Dr. Carol Queen, Queer is a Verb by Charlie Glickman, Is Infidelity The New Monogamy? by Dr. Tammy Nelson, Combating the Silencing of Abuse within the Kink & Sex-Positive Communities by Nadia West, Why the Sex Positive Movement is Bad for Sex Workers’ Rights by Audacia Ray, and many more.
This anthology will allow those who couldn’t be at the conference to participate in some of the revolutionary ideas about sex and sexuality that came about as a result of MOMENTUM and attendees will be able to read about sessions they may have missed, as well as have a go-to guide of their favorite sessions.
- Wired for Sex – week 1 – Diagnosing Sexual Disorders Purchase Separately ($50)
- Wired for Sex – week 2 – Understanding & Repairing Sexual Dysfunction Purchase Separately ($50)
- Wired for Sex – week 3 – Addressing Non-Sexual Meanings of Sexual Behaviors Purchase Separately ($50)
- Wired for Sex – week 4 – Developing Erotic Intimacy After Infidelity Purchase Separately ($50)
Excite and Inspire Each Other for a Lifetime of Passion
A proven couples counseling method applied to sex for the very first time.
Communication problems can erode a relationship in and out of the bedroom. This guide takes a proven communication method, which has been used to counsel millions of couples, and applies it to sex for the very first time. The Imago Relationship Therapy, which was pioneered by Harville Hendrix in the national bestseller and self-help classic Getting the Love You Want, shows readers how to understand and build trust with their partners through a unique form of dialogue.
Getting the Sex You Want teaches readers how to build sexual communication skills quickly and connect with their partner in a new way. Couples learn exercises that enable them to communicate their sexual needs and desires, get past old issues, and revive passion in their relationship.
BIG News! Getting The Sex You Want has been re-released in an updated paperback version!
Preorder paperback on B&N (Available December 1, 2012)
“Tammy Nelson takes you safely by the hand and leads you into the erotic world of passionate sex. The pace is just right, the facts are friendly, and the process powerful. This book is thorough, timely, and long-awaited. Get it, read it, enjoy it!”
-Patricia Love, Ed.D., co-author, How to Improve Your Marriage Without Talking About It
“Utilizing the principles of Imago Therapy as outlined by Harville Hendrix, Tammy Nelson invites long-time couples to reinvent their intimacy and cultivate an erotic atmosphere that will sustain them for years to come. Couples who have given up on having a vivid, exciting sex life together will reawaken or newly discover an intensity they may have never known before.”
-Eve Marx, best-selling author of The Goddess Orgasm and Read My Hips: The Sexy Language of Flirtation
“This book presents life-changing information in a straightforward, step-by-step manner that is easily accessible to couples interested in deepening their physical and emotional connection. Whether in the early stages of a relationship or well into a long-term one, this book provides a variety of ways to increase passion, encourage sexual curiosity and experimentation, and give you both the sex you want.”
-Helen Brown, Spa Director, Mayflower Inn and Spa
“Getting the Sex You Want” is a straightforward and fearless guide to both the mysteries of eroticism and the importance of sexual risk-taking in committed relationships. At the same time it is a deeply compassionate exploration of the role of sexual empathy and generosity in helping couples forge an enduring emotional connection. No book I have read has more clearly laid out how enhancing a couple’s erotic bond can lead to profound psychological healing for both partners.”
Jette S. Simon, Director: The Washington DC Training Institute for Couples Therapy.
Get your signed copy here!
$13.25 + $5 shipping
Sex, Desire and Emotional Intimacy:
New approaches to old dilemmas
A 90-minute teleseminar for professionals
by Dr. Tammy Nelson & Dr. Marty Klein
Thursday, June 14th, 2pm – 3:30pm EDT
Every therapist deals with issues of desire, arousal, and intimacy. And every therapist is familiar with the complicated dynamics of power, trust, and safety that make these issues as complicated (and personally challenging) as they are. In this 90-minute seminar, two leaders in the field of sexual relationships will discuss how you can overcome the obstacles that all couples present as they struggle to create intimacy in their relationships. The topics covered will include performance anxiety, avoidance, jealousy, control, distance, and negotiation. We will examine the common, recurring relationship themes and narratives that all clinicians face, redefining them in ways you can use immediately – with a practical new understanding that you’ll value both personally and professionally.
We will discuss the common myths about sexuality and how they impact our lives. This class is for anyone looking to enhance their sexuality, as well as for therapists, counselors, medical practitioners and any helping professionals looking to improve their practice with clients.
Listen LIVE or download the recording at your leisure. CEs available for AASECT and CAMFT.
Registration: $59 – includes your attendance during the 90 minute live call, the recording of the call, as well as handouts and resources.
***Get 10% until June 4, 2012***
Teleseminars can be joined LIVE or downloaded at your convenience.
Dr. Marty Klein is the author of “America’s War on Sex,” and the new “Sexual Intelligence: What We Really Want From Sex, And How to Get It.”
Dr. Tammy Nelson is the author of “Getting the Sex You Want” and the soon to be released “The New Monogamy; Redefining Your Relationship After Infidelity.”
Watch for information about a multi-part teleseminar Dr. Klein and Dr. Nelson are planning for this Fall, which will qualify for CE credit.
- Week 1 – Define Sexual Dependency Syndrome as it relates to sexual addiction, internet addiction and pornography addiction Purchase Week 1 Separately ($50)
- Week 2 – Assessment & Differential Diagnosis Purchase Week 2 Separately ($50)
- Week 3 – Interventions, strategies and empathic treatment for sexually disordered patients Purchase Week 3 Separately ($50)
- Week 4 – How countertransference can interfere w/ treatment Purchase Week 4 Separately ($50)
The Myths and Realities of Sexual Addiction: How Sex on the Download (TM) Affects Relationships Spring 2012 by Dr. Joe Kort & Dr. Tammy Nelson – all 4 sessions
The Myths and Realities of Sexual Addiction: How Sex on the Download (TM) Affects Relationships Spring 2012 – all 4 sessions
- Week 1 – Shame: Cause or effect? Does it turbo-charge hyper-sexuality or decrease desire?
- Week 2 – Addiction: When is it an excuse? Differentiate and develop a concise treatment plan.
- Week 3 – Love: Helping partners heal: Trauma, abuse, and its long term effect on relationships.
- Week 4 – Recovery: Who defines it? Short and long term prognosis for both individuals and couples.
Sex, Love, & Power: Rethinking Couples Therapy March/April 2012 by Dr. Tammy Nelson & Esther Perel – all 5 sessions
- Week 1- Sex and Love: We will explore what creates desire and rejection.
- Week 2- Sex and Attachment: Power and differentiation in the desire discrepancy cycle.
- Week 3- Sex and Therapy: Couples therapy with individuals and other challenges to traditional treatment.
- Week 4- Sex and Power: Engage couples in the exploration of control – in and out of bed.
- Week 5- Sex and Aging: Beyond menopause and andropause; learn how erotic age is different than real age.
- Week 1 – Stages of Internet Infidelity Recovery Purchase Week 1 Separately ($50)
- Week 2 – Renegotiating Rules & Boundaries Purchase Week 2 Separately ($50)
- Week 3 – Managing Disclosure versus Discovery Purchase Week 3 Separately ($50)
- Week 4 – Negotiating Privacy versus Secrecy Purchase Week 4 Separately ($50)
Beyond Sexual Trauma: Effective Assessment, Treatment & Recovery April/May 2012 by Dr. Tammy Nelson & Dr. Gina Ogden – all 5 sessions
- Week 1 – Stories the Body Tells: The psychophysiology of sexual trauma and PTSD
- Week 2 – Avoidance* Risk* Compulsivity: How abuse* disease* and betrayal lead clients to disconnect from authentic sexual pleasure
- Week 3 – Turning the Tide: Helping couples develop sexual coping skills and empathic connection
- Week 4 – Mindfulness* visualization* and the brain: Awareness techniques to reconnect body* mind* heart* and spirit
- Week 5 – Sexual Authenticity and Erotic Connection: Recovering from infidelity and other relationship traumas